Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Vegan Restaurants and Catering in Winnipeg!

Happy Friday!


Many of you have been asking me where to buy seitan which makes me sooooo happy because that means you are intrigued by my seitan obsession rather than disturbed by it!!  But alas, I have NO idea where to buy it in Winnipeg.  On the plus side: it is so easy to make from scratch!  And you can find all of the ingredients at your friendly neighborhood Bulk Barn (including gluten flour)!  I use this recipe for homemade seitan .  I modify it slightly by replacing the ground ginger with smoked paprika (Bulk Barn) and add 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (you can get it at Bulk Barn in the bulk spices.  I have also seen it at Superstore in the health food aisle and Organza Market in the refridgerated section).  Do not be afraid of nutritional yeast!  It has delicious flavour and is an excellent source of B12 vitamins and protein! 


I thought that since it is the weekend that I would post a list of some of my favorite vegan and vegan friendly restaurants!  I would love to hear some of your favorites too!


Boon Burger - Obviously one of my faves, I yammer on about it enough!  Burgers, poutine, soups and salads all SUPER YUMMY!!!


Falafel Place - HUGE vegan and vegetarian menu, think diner meets mouth-watering Middle Eastern cuisine!  I always get 2 dozen falafel balls and a side order of tahini sauce and STUFF MY FACE!


Burrito del Rio - the grande vegetarian burrito is the size of a small infant and packed with fresh ingredients and loads of flavour!

Fresh Cafe - One of my all-time fave's, best vegan brunch EVER!  And the fresh juices have saved me on more than one morning-after-a-bender

Calm Unity Cafe - Located in the Moksha Yoga studio it is perfectly virtuous food after a cleansing hot yoga session!

Delicious Vegetarian Restaurant - It TRUELY lives up to it's name!  You absolutely MUST try the deep fried mushrooms with spicy salt (omgomgomgomgomg!!!)!

Not exactly a restaurant, but Nofu Plant Based Catering is Winnipeg's premiere exclusively vegan catering co.!  They cater everything from office luncheons to weddings to cocktail parties to baby showers - you name it!  I can't tell you how many weddings I've been to where the vegan option is either a slab of tofu or pasta with veggies - boring!! Check Nofu out! 

It's a lot easier to eat vegan in restaurants than many people think.  At Pizzeria Gusto the 'drunken mushroom' pizza (I think it's called the 'Sophia') without the cheese is UNREAL!  At most sushi places there are tons of veggie rolls along with vegetable tempura and edamame!  If you are more in the mood for a couple little tapas to accompany a bottle of Spanish vino (although one bottle is rarely enough) then you have to visit Segovia and try the Pan Con Tomate and Olives with Orange and Thyme mmmm...

Happy Noshing this weekend!

XOXO
V.V.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, much better than Happy Cow suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. vegan catering near me

    ReplyDelete